Wednesday 11 September 2013

Tales of a fashion designer (Uyai By Peniel Basic Fashion Accessory Training) 13th April 2013

As a fashion designer, I am so passionate about sketching and creating new designs. The inspiration comes from weird places and thoughts. I have never thought about learning how to create accessories. I love accessories also, accessories are a unique part of fashion, accessories help us compliment our different styles of clothing.

On a very good day after facing my students as a corper, I was laying on my bed, resting and thinking about all the opportunities I had lost because I was serving in a rural area, my sister pinged me and told me about an accessory training coming up in Port Harcourt soon and registration had started. The promo fee was 10,000 naira for corpers and students, at the time, we had not been paid our allowance for the previous month and I had spent all my savings buying fabrics for a fashion show.

There was no cause for alarm, I simply waited for NYSC to pay me my allowance, the allowance is 19,800, what would I survive on, after paying my registration fee? I thought, but I didn't let that stop me, I was going to manage 9,800 and I also had wonderful flat mates "Ejiro and Maureen" who encouraged me. I left Akwa Ibom for Port Harcourt for the little break we had. There was a time frame for registration and I had missed it. I called the number that was on the Uyai by Peniel facebook page, I was told I had missed the deadline for the promo and it was now 20,000 naira, which I didn't have, was I going to just say "Okay" and drop the phone? I didn't have an extra wad of cash waiting somewhere for me, so I took a leap of faith and begged her, I pleaded and to my amazing surprise, she said "Yes, I could pay the sum of 10,000 naira for registration". I was so happy and grateful to God for using her to bless my year. This is one opportunity of 2013 that has empowered me.

The training was on a Saturday, the weather was perfect and each training session was interesting, the C.E.O of Uyai by Peniel was so affable, she took her time to train each of us, brunch was delicious especially for me because I left my house without having breakfast, the other students were also affable, I was so happy I participated in the training, by the end of the training I could create basic Afrocentric accessories such as bangles, hair pieces, neck pieces, loop earrings and note pads, thanks to Uyai by Peniel.

I dedicate this blog entry to my sister "Ify Abidemi Udom" who suggested that I participate in the Uyai by Peniel basic fashion accessories training. I love you sisto.

No comments:

Post a Comment