Saturday 20 July 2013

Continuation (A piece of fiction i wrote for a Magazine when i was still in Uniport. The next edition did not get published. Decided to publish it on my blog.

........................................................................................

She starred at me, using her hands to turn my face around like I was a baby or a new hand bag she was about to purchase and repeatedly said "She's pretty". I turned to Timi and asked him what was going on here. I was so ashamed, that the anger in me could not be expressed. Just one weekend of adventure, just my first trial of loving completely and I had fallen for the wrong Prince. I had lost my cherry to a charming player of the game. Timi didn't say much, he was too busy smiling and asking Alicia about her trip. It did not seem I was even present. Alicia embraced him and told him "How she had missed him, how London was boring without him, how she spent the holiday tagging along with her mom and visiting her cousins". I have never done a walk of shame in my life. It was something I saw in foreign movies, where the girl has a one night stand and leaves quietly without being noticed. In this case, I was the center of attention a few minutes ago and now I had been forgotten by the two stupid love birds. I quickly imagined standing up, getting into a fight with Alicia and leaving a permanent scar on her pretty face as a souvenir for Timi. Then, I checked back to reality immediately, i was not a drama queen, i had never even imagined I will be caught up in this kind of drama.

I went into the room, i packed my clothes sobbing and hating myself for being a fool for love. I looked at the sheets and I got more bitter. I wished I could go to my aunty's place and cancel my flight. I was not in the mood to return to school, I was not ready to narrate this humiliating bitter sweet story to my girlfriends. I thought of how they will have a fulfilled month laughing at me and turning me into the subject of gossip when they were bored. It was just too much for me. As I was still thinking of my next plan, Timi came into the room, He sat on the bed and said "He was sorry". I didn't mean to hurt you, I just needed company for the weekend, I really like you as a friend. You are a nice girl with a good heart, and I am sure you will find someone who will cherish you and love you but I am not the guy. I am not ready to be in a relationship and trust me, you don't want to date me, any girl who dates me now will die of paranoia. You look vulnerable and too nice. "And being nice is bad? I asked with a frown. Timi, you are evil, For God's sake, you slept with me, you took my virginity and now, you open your mouth to tell me you like me as a friend? You are wicked." I was crying and shaking. They call it a broken heart but I could feel the pain all over my body.

He was kind enough to drop me off at the airport. As we left his place, Alicia offered to follow us but he told her to stay behind, she smiled and told me "Good bye!!!". It turned out that they were in an open relationship, he told me all about his relationship with her as he drove me to the airport. She dated other guys and he was free to date other girls. It was a non exclusive relationship, then i thought "Crap!!! He slept with me without using a condom". We finally got to Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, he brought an envelope out and told me it contained a hundred thousand naira and handed it over to me. I took the envelope and placed it in my hand bag. He smiled and kissed me on my cheeks. "Eniola, i know you hate me right now but please I still want us to remain friends, i am not a bad person, I am not just the kind of guy you need right now, I hope you forgive me soon". I smiled back and told him I had forgiven him but deep down inside me, I knew I had to forgive myself for stupidly losing my cherry to a play boy who was in an open relationship. What was I thinking? Okay!!! I certainly was not using my brain this weekend. All I could think of now was my health. I hugged him and told him "Good bye" and wished him the very best.

As I got to school, I did not disappoint my girlfriends with my story, it was juicy, the very type they liked to hear, they enjoyed the twist, the fact that Prince Charming was actually not that charming at all. My gist might have been entertaining but my life was more precious. The next morning came, it was Monday and while most students were getting ready to attend lectures, i was getting ready to visit the hospital to do a HIV test. Sometimes, we all get this feeling where you are hurting and somehow something worse happens, and the previous pain just disappears. As I waited for my result, I didn't think of the stupid mistake I had made or how Timi had turned out to be like the rest of THEM, all I could think of was my health. The result was out, the Doctor smiled and said "You are fine, you are HIV negative". As I left the hospital, I looked up and gave God a wink. I promised myself to concentrate on my immediate needs such as getting my degree and having clean good fun. A good man will surely appear someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment