Thursday 4 July 2013

Tales of a fashion designer...African Fashion and Design Week.

Combining NYSC and fashion was not easy, especially preparing for my debut on The African fashion and design week runway. It was hectic, traveling almost every week since the venue for the fashion show was not Akwa Ibom State.

Then came the fitting day which clashed with my NYSC final clearance. I was so stressed, I thought of giving up one for the other, applying opportunity cost but they were both important to me. If i was to let go of one, it would have been my NYSC final clearance and that would guarantee 3 months extension of youth service. God bless my local inspector who agreed to clear me in my absence, God bless my fellow Corp members who understood my plight and joined me to plead for the special favour.

I rushed back to Port Harcourt, it was 4pm, i took my box of designs and headed for the venue for the event. As if my day was not filled with stress already, Heavy rainfall and traffic decided to add to the stress. I got to the venue and had to sit for hours watching the models rehearse, they had to catwalk several times just to be perfect. At that moment, I learned modeling was more than just skinny girls catwalking and posing.
I had my fitting by 9pm, by 10:05pm I was home, tired with heavy eyes and all I could think of as I took a shower was "Dreams are nothing without hard work, determination and persistence".

The day came and it was successful. NYSC passing out date was on the 6th of june and my debut was on the 7th. I had my family and friends there to support me. The models were affable girls who looked beautiful in my designs. When I used to imagine what my debut would be like, I always imagined the models catwalking and moving to the tunes of Waje's "I am so Inspired",the lyrics of that song inspires me a lot and that dream came true that night. When the DJ played the song, the models went out, did their thing, I peeped to look at the reaction on the guests faces, it was pleasing. At the end of the show, a man walked up to me, shaked my hands and told me "My designs are beautiful and Original". I was thrilled, the night ended with taking pictures, I was tired and sleepy but I managed to still smile. As I left the venue, i told myself "Well done Lamide". One leap at a time and this great dream of mine would all come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment